“There are many misconceptions out there – the biggest myth being that a life coach teaches life skills. You wouldn’t see a life coach because you have problems. We all experience challenges and diversity. You would see a life coach because you are feeling stuck and you do not know the best way to move forward. Coaching will help you to explore all your options; unpack the beliefs that keep you stuck and then help you to implement the change that suits you best. Coaching is at its essence a ‘Methodology for Change’ “.
Personal development needs vary dramatically from person to person and therefore the agenda and solutions to these problems do to. Sometimes clients are very clear about what they want to achieve. Other times, clients know what they ‘don’t want’ in life and so we get clear first about what they would prefer instead. With conscious clarity and descriptions of their preferred reality (versus current reality) we design action steps to move closer to that outcome. I use several models of change and will collaborate with clients on whether they prefer to work consciously and/or subconsciously (PSYCH-K).
Helping clients shift from their current reality to their preferred reality depends on many variables. For example:
• The nature of the problem and the depth of the work involved
• Whether the presenting problem turns out to be the actual problem
• How confident, secure and willing the individual is toward creating change in their life
• The cost of change and the benefits of staying stuck (secondary gains)
• The level of a client’s self awareness etc.
Some examples of coaching agendas:
- Improve work performance
- Improve time management
- Improve self-confidence
- Improve relationship skills
- Improve communication skills
- Establish work/life balance
- Leadership development: Identifying strengths and development areas – strengths assessments
- Clarifying goals and strategies for success-:Who do I need to be, in order to have what I want, so that I can achieve in the way I would like?
- Decision making: providing clarity when at crossroads and for multidimensional dilemmas
- Empowering Yourself: reclaiming ones power back from a dis-empowered/overpowered state
- Authentic Well-being: (Life-Codes) how to craft a life that is an expression of ones true self that is empowering and inspiring
- Dating Deliberating: personal discovery and relationship reading process
- Marriage preparation: maintaining effortless and resilient partnerships
- Couples/pairs in conflict: reassembling mutual regard/respect between 2 people
- Exploring problem patterns of behaviour: creating new way of relating
- Identifying limiting beliefs in relationships: addressing the cause not the symptom
- Exploring the impact of blind-spots and emotional baggage
- Facilitation of Relationship Awareness and TotalSDI assessment inventories
Ironically, developing personally, becoming familiar with ones triggers and improving relationship skills can be the best ‘therapy’ for a couple in crisis. This is addressed in the article ‘The best couple therapy is individual therapy’.
Please contact Shelley to find out how she can assist with your personal development.